Airtight Specification in Practice (Galway)
Join us as we take to the road to bring you a nationwide series on airtightness, delivered through interactive, hands-on workshops. Hosted in multiple locations across the island of Ireland, this roadshow is tailored for construction professionals (architects, engineers, consultants, etc.) who are eager to gain practical experience with airtightness materials. Delve into a learning experience that goes beyond theory, enhancing your understanding of the essential relationship between airtightness, moisture management, and ventilation.
Date and time
28th February 2024
10:30am - 1:00pm
Ardilaun Hotel, Taylors Hill, Galway H91 H29F
- Architectural Technologists
- Practical experience of airtightness materials and installation techniques
- How to design for airtightness from the outset
- Moisture management techniques to avoid structural damage and damp
- Airtightness hints and tips from world leading experts
- 'Fabric First' ventilation – Source control & materials in buildings
- Ventilation methods in buildings
- How to “Build Tight & Ventilate Right”
- 10:30am - Tea/Coffee
- 10:45am - Introduction to event
- 11:00am - Section 1: Intelligent Airtight Specification & Practical Application
- 12:30am - Section 2: Moisture Control at Source & Moisture Managing Material
- 13:00pm - Lunch
What you will gain from attending this CPD
- Practical experience with airtightness materials using scale models, delivered in a group setting to encourage collaboration.
- Knowledge of moisture levels on site, the movement of moisture through various materials, and the associated consequences caused by moisture.
- How to choose fit-for-purpose materials; this is essential in ensuring sustainable buildings and a healthy comfortable living environment is achieved.
- An understanding of the causes and effects of poor moisture management, and current vs. future airtightness standards.
- Knowledge of decentralised ventilation systems, including: how the system is designed, the key components, how the system operates, and maintenance of the system.
- The role ventilation systems play in a highly insulated, airtight home and how they complement each other.
- A certificate of attendance will also be awarded on completion.
This CPD is a 2.5 hour stand-alone CPD providing 2.5 points upon completion. This can be doubled with an additional 1-2 hour related activity (see RIBA website for more details).
Sustainable architecture is a rapidly developing area and is a RIBA core curriculum topic. There is a requirement for a minimum of 2 hours to be spent on each of the core 10 topics.
Technical Specification Manager
Joe is a Passivhaus Contractor with Degree qualifications in Sustainable Construction and Energy Management. He also completed Postgraduate Diplomas in Green Engineering and Advanced Thermal Modelling and a Postgraduate Certificate in Hygrothermal Risk Assessment.
Insulation & Ventilation Specification Advisor
Fergal is a qualified construction project manager, he has a keen interest in green building and the development of biodegradable materials for construction and so went on to complete a B.Sc. in Advanced Wood & Sustainable Building Technology at Sligo I.T. Following this, Fergal completed an honours degree in Construction Project Management before joining Ecological. Most recently, he successfully completed the Passive House Contractor exam run by the Passive House Institute in Germany, is fully trained on low energy detailing, and is a Certified City & Guilds Ventilation Validator.
Technical Specification Advisor
Cronan has over 15 years’ experience in the construction sector across multiple technical roles. Having originally started out as a Tradesman, Cronan gained considerable experience on numerous large-scale projects before progressing to Specification Manager - a role that led him to working alongside Architects, Engineers, County Councils and local businesses for the past decade. Cronan was also heavily involved in providing on-site technical installation training to contractors and external sales representatives as a method of improving their product knowledge, efficiency and understanding of building materials.